MTSS Literacy Coaching Project is dedicated to:
Supporting coaches and schools in creating the literacy and learning systems necessary for high levels of student achievement by enhancing knowledge and understanding of research based best practices in effective literacy instruction and coaching.
To do this, we have created a two year long sequences of learning opportunities entitles Coaches As Learners and Coaches as Partners for coaches to gain the skills and strategies necessary to be effective supports for their colleagues and schools. Throughout the two years, participants will:
- examine the roles of the literacy coach in developing in-school capacity for professional learning;
- examine their fundamental beliefs about student learning, teaching, and coaching;
- gain knowledge about adult development and change;
- learn coaching skills and literacy specific support for working with administrators, teachers, and other colleagues (presentation, facilitation, communication, demonstration skills)
- implement a common language and philosophy related to literacy learning in their school,
- learn skills for presenting literacy content modules in elementary, middle, and high school settings,
- engage within a professional learning community for literacy coaches and leaders, to share and enhance learning and support problem solving
- learn strategies for working with school-based teams use data to inform decision making while teaching
- organize for effective coaching—creating coaching notebooks and other materials.
Coaches who enroll in either sequence will have the option of receiving mentorship through site visits with experienced literacy coaches and consultants.