Dates: September 14, September 28, October 12, 26, November 9, and November 30, 2020
Time: 3:15 – 4:45 pm
Location: Online Zoom Meetings
Facilitators: Gayle Moskowitz & Ellen A Thompson
The last few months of this past school year were challenging, especially when considering how much our students were actually learning. Instruction was designed by individual teachers, within systems working diligently to respond to urgent situations. But we know more now…and we have come up with solutions and strategies to make our systems and instruction more responsive to our current world. Yet, we are still facing a long-standing challenge–how do we narrow the gaps for our neediest students while still propelling all students to learn as much as they can. As literacy coaches, we know we can do more within our systems to help teachers support our students in this “new normal.” So the big question is, what can literacy coaches do to support teachers as they design and intentionally teach all students?
As literacy coaches, we know we need to support :
- Students’ needs
- Equitable access to learning
- Responsive instruction
- Teachers’ instructional needs
Using the Networking for Excellence in Schools (NEXIS) process, we will embark on an active journey to respond to these challenges in our schools. First, using our combined experiences, we will look at the issues we are facing across our varied educational environments. We will create the means to address these inequities of both teaching and learning through adopting. Our sessions together will be spent learning more about how to coach digitally and in person through solving those problems that get in our way. We will plan approaches, implement our designs and study the effectiveness of our results in real time.
- Understanding the problems of practice in this new teaching normal
- Identifying the goal: what will happen when we address the problem
- PLAN: Learning from the field: What do experts say about this? Planning the change for improvement
- STUDY/ACT: Learning from the field: How do we study change through the lens of coaching? Studying the results of the change and the 3As (adopt, adapt, abandon)
- PLAN: Starting again: what else needs to happen to achieve the goal? Let’s Plan.
- STUDY/ACT: Learning from the field: How do we study change through the lens of VTmtss? Studying the results of the change and the 3As (adopt, adapt, abandon)